Monday, May 18, 2009

WOMENNNN

Its true that I often think damn these child bearing hips and the once a month visit from Aunt Flo.  I curse societies standards of what a woman should be and loathe the pressures I internalize to be thinner, prettier, more stylish.  Growing up I thought life would be easier if I were a boy...I guess sometimes I still think that...like when my voice is not heard or I'm looked at as a bitch for having an opinion.  

Don't get me wrong I'm no man hater and in the end, I am proud to be a woman.  Its great...I get to wear dresses and put on makeup...I am athletic, climb mountains for a living and enjoy whiskey neat (I refuse to think these things make me a tomboy...I am simply a more well-rounded woman)...I am intelligent and I am lucky enough to be growing up in a time when women have or are continuing to achieve as many rights as men.  AND, eventually, I will get to grow a little person in my tummy and then bring it in to the world.  Sounds sorta gross right now and I have absolutely no plans for this in the near future, but hey I do believe its quite the blessing.  

Sometimes I wonder if I'll find a nice boy who can keep up with me...I suppose that I am beginning to have more faith.  Beginning to believe that happiness can not be based on a man or anyone other than myself...that beauty comes from within.  Eventually, I will find someone truly worthy of my attention.

Anyway, its a beautiful thing...being a woman.

I am so blessed to be surrounded by intelligent and beautiful friends.  Often, I am in awe of my friends and feel lucky to have such people in my life.  Sometime ago, I began referring to each of my friends as "woman."  "Woman" this and "woman" that.  When Meredith called me the other day she said, "Hi Woman, this is Woman."  I loved it.  It reminds me that I am a woman and that I'm wonderful and powerful and everything else a woman is blessed enough to be if she lives to the fullest.  

So here is my tribute to the women in my life...my closest friends.  Those that remind me what it means to be truly beautiful, to be unique, that its great to be all different sizes and shapes, and to be strong in challenging times.  Here is a little love for those who have picked me up when I'm down, laughed, cried, appreciated these type of cheesy gestures, stopped me from wishing I were a boy and to those who will share a bottle of Beam with me any old day...in honor of our womanhood of course.










Cheers to being a WOMAN...

No comments:

Post a Comment