Friday, January 29, 2010

Nobody Tells You

Its true when I say this...nobody tells you its going to be this way. My folks may have tried. But that sounded more like...

"Work hard, get good grades, do this, do that, etc., etc., etc."

But still, I didn't know it was going to be this way. Hard, challenging.

UC Berkeley...nobody there told me. I studied for four and a half years under the guidance of great intellects to be something, to be more intelligent, to succeed, to find my path. It felt like I had it together, but I didn't know when I departed, left that environment (that crazy rat race), that most days I would feel like the universe is swallowing me whole and spitting me out to find my own way with what feels like no guidance.

Maybe the homeless men on the corner tried to tell me (no ordinary homeless men...they were wise fighters for freedom during the 1960s that now spend their days choosing to be "houseless").

Nobody told me it was going to be this way. Maybe its because we all have to find out ourselves. We have to fail and fail again and take the road less traveled only to find a dead end. Then its about picking yourself up again and finding a new road that we think is the right one only to find out it may not be right, feel right. The strength part comes when you recognize it and decide you have to abandon ship metaphorically speaking. We will not know until we try, isn't that what they say?

So, what's all this ranting about? Well, its about trying to feel a little less lost.




No comments:

Post a Comment