Saturday, January 10, 2009

I hopped aboard a red eye jet blue flight last night after consuming one large ridiculously over priced beer.  Nonetheless, that trusty beverage plus the fact that I was flying in the middle of the night allowed me to sleep a bit on the plane waking only to drink a ginger ale and to consume some bad airline snack.  I arrived in Portland, Maine unscathed, but fairly exhausted.  Its not often that this person over here goes without a night of sleep.  After a few hours of waiting around and napping in the airport the boss man picked me up. I was fearful of passing out in the car or making a bad impression.  Of course neither of those things happened and the 2 hr drive proved informative and allowed me to realize that this is where I belong for the next five months of my life.  
My home is in North Conway, New Hampshire and is oh so beautiful (eventually I will take some pictures and post them up here).  I live backed up against a forest and there is snow on the ground everywhere.  Last night with one of my co-workers, I made my first snow angel in the backyard.  Traveling and spending really anytime in the snow at all was never my parents thing.  As a result, I am like a little kid when I see the stuff and just want to run and play in it all day long.  Anyway, my room in the house is fairly big and definitely comfortable.  I will hang pictures of all your pretty faces soon because I miss you already!
North Conway has one two lane high way and a small downtown with some coffee shops and some pubs and many consignment stores.  Apparently the town is so safe that we never lock our door and I don't even have keys to the house.  The co-workers on my shift are wonderful and welcomed me with open arms.  Last night we went out to pizza and then had drinks at a small bar in town that was playing music.  Talk about a fun first night.  
I talked a lot to my peers about my role here and the challenges of the job.  I know that I am in for some difficult work with the kiddos that live at the recovery center, but I hope to play a positive role in their lives.  I start work on Monday and continue until Tuesday.  I am out in the field next weekend, which is exciting in every way.  EXCEPT its 11 degrees outside right now and its only getting colder.  Woooo!  Crash course in snow camping.  Can't you picture me freezing my ass off?  Hopefully its not as bad as I am envisioning...
Okay, after sleeping in until almost noon I think its time to get my toosh out of bed.  Miss you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment